I have started my canning venture this week. We canned salsa last summer but being new at the hobby we didn't even sterilize the lids and jars. But surprisingly nothing went bad!
Earlier I did pickled asparagus. We went to Root's Market the Tuesday before Easter. I got 3 large bunches of Asparagus, for under $5! After all week of trying new Asparagus dishes I figured I would turn to canning and got this great recipe for Pickled Asparagus.
3 Pounds Asparagus, Washed and Trimmed to fit in jars ( I used four 24 ounce jars)
3 Cups White Vinegar
3 Cups Water
4 Tablespoons Pickling Salt
4 Tablespoons Pickling Spice
4 Garlic Cloves, Peeled
- Prepare a boiling water bath canner and 4 jars, lids, and rings.
- Combine vinegar, water and salt and bring to a boil in a saucepan.
- In separate saucepan fill with water and bring to a boil. Place half of the Asparagus in the pan of plain water and boil for 1 minute. Get out with tongs and run under cold water. Repeat again with other half of Asparagus.
- Remove jars from canning pot and place a tablespoon of picking spice and one garlic clove in each jar. Divide Asparagus between jars. Pour vinegar, salt and water mixture over asparagus being sure to cover the Asparagus.
- Wipe rims and apply lids and rings. Process for 15 minutes in boiling water bath.